About the Committee
The GIS Publications Committee consists of AAPG member geoscientists who utilize and promote the application of GIS technology and methodologies in petroleum and environmental geosciences. Committee members are involved in identifying suitable projects for publishing, and carrying out peer reviews based on the publication standards that have been prepared by the committee, under the direction of the chairman, vice-chairman and GIS Publications editorial board. The GIS Publications Committee reports to the AAPG Elected Editor and to the Geoscience Director, who provide key direction regarding publication strategy and focus.
If you are interested in becoming a committee member or reviewer, please contact us.
The GIS Publications Committee and Datapages, under the leadership of the Elected Editor and the Geoscience Director, solicit and evaluate proposals for publications, recommend standards for format and quality, and ensure quality and rigor through peer review and quality control. The committee publishes accepted proposals in a timely manner by effectively managing the decision, peer-review and publishing process.
Manage expectations for acquiring and publishing GIS material. Implement established standards for quality and for technical review.
- Create a global network of GIS committee members comprised of subject matter experts and collaborators from industry, academia, and geological surveys.
- Partner with the print-focused Publications Committee to produce joint print and GIS projects whenever practical.
- Partner with the EMD, DEG and outside like organizations to produce joint GIS projects whenever practical.
- Contribute to the management of Consortium funds by providing two AAPG GIS Publications Committee representatives to sit on the AAPGF-OSU Geoscience GIS Consortium Advisory Committee; high-grade Datapages and GIS Publications Committee project funding proposals and liaise with the OSU consortium cartography department to ensure production of high quality and timely results.
GIS Open Files and Author Resources
The AAPG, under the direction and guidance of the GIS Publications Committee and AAPG Datapages, is building a GIS / spatial library comprised of peer-reviewed Global Framework, Geothematic and Geographic themed projects. The project files are free to the public and can be downloaded from the GIS Open Files page. Authors are encouraged to submit proposals to the GIS Publications Committee using the information and tools on the Author Resource page.
The Faces of the Committee
- Chair: James McDonald
- Executive Committee Liaison: Stephen E. Laubach
- Committee Manager: Michael L. Sweet
- James Cokinos, CGG
- Joe Cross, ConocoPhillips
- Bret Fossum, ConocoPhillips
- Samuel Limerick, AleAnna Resources
- James McDonald, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Ian Norton, University of Texas
- Mohd. Zukhairi Bin Abd. Latef
- Daniel Beaty
- James Cokinos
- Joseph Cross
- Andrew Cutts
- Bret Fossum
- Jingyao Gong
- Scott Hills
- Kevin King
- Samuel Limerick
- Domenico Lodola
- Andrea Loveland
- Gayle McColloch
- James McDonald
- Oliver Morris
- Ian Norton
- Andrew Ontko
- Scott Tiller
- Peter Wigley
- Gareth Williams