New GIS collections are being developed through the AAPG Foundation-OSU Geoscience GIS Consortium, a partnership between the AAPG Foundation and Oklahoma State University. This partnership was created in 2008 when the AAPG Foundation received a generous $10 million endowment from Mr. Boone Pickens. The endowment created the Boone Pickens Digital Geology Fund, which is earmarked to underwrite the creation of GIS publications, along with data acquisition and underlying geological research.
The Consortium exists to create, accelerate and sustain digital peer-reviewed GIS products, carried out through OSU’s Geology and Geography Departments and the AAPG GIS Publications Committee. The products will have direct application to the search for and development of petroleum and energy-related mineral resources, and / or related to environmental geology or related economic issues.
Example of Projects for Funding Consideration
- Projects with a focus on geology, energy, geography and economics
- Those needing cartographic work (maps and derivatives including vectorization, attribution, preparation of metadata and georeferencing)
- Research projects resulting in the creation of GIS-based databases, reports, and studies
- Projects where copyright is released to the AAPG, or permission to publish or re-use is granted
If you're interested in submitting a proposal, click here for the AAPG Foundation's Proposal Criteria.
Currently In-Progress and Completed Projects
- Appalachian Shales
- Atlas of Modern Deltas *
- Atlas of Shale Pits *
- Australia Geologic Framework
- Cartographic / Geologic Internship
- Characterization of Global Ophiolite Distribution *
- Geochemical Facies Mapping of Devonian Black Shales *
- Geology of Ethiopia
- Georeferencing of Maps of Salt Dome Oil Fields (Phase II)
- Global Atlas of Outcropping Reservoir Rocks *
- Global Heat Flow Database of the International Heat Flow Commission
- Modern and Ancient Incised Valleys Database *
- Modification of Line Features of Tectonic Map of the World ("Bally's Map")
- Nevada Petroleum Well Locations and Files
- Pennsylvania Digital Oil and Gas Mapping
- Rockies Stratigraphic Framework - Geologic Atlas of the Rocky Mountain Region (Phase 1)
- Stratigraphic Distribution of Hydrocarbon Production from 19 Counties, Abilene (TX) Area ("Abilene Oil Fields Atlas")
- Tectonic Map of North America, 1992, 1996
- Tectonics of the Western Indian Ocean
- Vectorization of Stratigraphic Atlas of North & Central America (Phase II) (Jurassic-Tertiary) ("The Shell Atlas")
- Wilcox Group and Carrizo Sand in East-Central Texas: Depositional Systems and Deep Basin Lignite
* Research Project
Wilcox Group and Carrizo Sand in East-Central Texas: Depositional Systems and Deep Basin Lignite - In Progress
Consortium project management is provided by AAPG Datapages on behalf of the AAPG Foundation.